Thursday 19 January 2012

Words That Can Never Be Spoken - For Wendy

Words That Can Never Be Spoken

Your very first breath was your last; I held my breath in the hope that I could hold the last of your life if I didn’t exhale. I cried tears enough to swell the ocean as I willed warmth into your algid form. I felt my hands caress you, my arms embrace you and my body bury you as though I could unite our bodies once again and feel your heart beat inside me. For one brief moment I was the one thing that I will never be called. Mum.

We watered the ground with our grief as your tiny pink coffin was engulfed by the earth; we scattered baby’s breath and heather before you were buried beneath the mounds and bracken covered the disturbance. Pain and misery will never blight you again. Your spirit remains in the tranquillity of the woodland, your voice will be heard in the morning birdsong and your touch will be felt in the gentle strokes of the wind. You will grow as nature grows around you, you will play as the deer frolic between the trees and you will rise to kiss the sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment